Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Camping in South Africa

I have been camping most of my life, first with my family in Zambia and Zimbabwe where I grew up, then as an adult with a family of my own, in South Africa.

South Africa has to be one of the best countries for camping!  For starters, the weather is generally sunny and beautiful.  SA also has such an array of amazing things to see, and an excellent network of spacious roads which makes traveling easy, so it's the ideal country for touring.

We have traveled all over SA, from beaches on three sides of the country to game reserves where you can see the Big 5, to incredible mountains and viewpoints, to tropical dune forests, deserts, cave systems, wild-flower displays in spring, wine farms and modern cities - SA has it all and more, and we've tried to see most of it.

We live in Kwazulunatal, and most of our trips are in this province.  Just recently we stayed at a place called Highover, on the banks of the Umkomaas River, in the Hella Hella Valley.  This is a wonderfully wild, rustic campsite, with incredible bird life, and a peacefulness that is good for one's soul. 

I love cooking on a camp fire, so I'll be sharing plenty of recipes with you, and also ideas on camp kitchens and equipment, how to plan, what to eat and how to cook it.  We don't believe in survival type food when camping, since 'gourmet' is so much nicer!

I would love you to comment or ask questions - looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment