Pear, Almond & Caramel Braai Pie
lightly oil a braai grid, for cooking your pie over the coals
1 packet of puff pastry, completely defrosted
1 small handful of almonds
1/2 tin of Caramel treat (caramelised condensed milk)
1 ripe pear or a few tinned pear halves
- Roll out the pastry (a wine bottle will do nicely as a rolling pin)
- Spread the caramel treat over one half, leaving a border for crimping
- Sprinkle with a handful of almonds
- Layer on thinly sliced pear
- Fold the plain half of the pastry over the filling, smear with a little milk around the edges, and seal well.
- Gently lift the dough onto the braai grid, and close and lock it
- Bake over very hot coals, turning frequently until crisp and puffed and golden
Slice and enjoy!
This method would work really well for a camping lunch-time, too - sprinkle with grated cheese, left-over braai meat, or a tin of something yummy, and cook a pie for lunch on the fire.
Let me know what you come up with!